Sunday, November 15, 2009

Blog 9: "Popular Culture"

I would say that I don't look to popular culture to influence my views on men and women because popular culture uses so many stereotypes to portray people that it gets sickening. I don't think you can judge people just from what you see because there's always more than meets the eye. I do think that popular culture does mirror reality, but only a piece of it. Popular culture also picks and chooses what they want to show to say what "reality" is. It is exactly the same concerning race and class. Everything that is shown within pop culture has to be taken with a grain of salt because so much is edited and revamped for good television. It's all entertainment at the end of the day, so their only gonna show you what they want to portray.


A lot of sexist things that happen, I think we have become synthesized to so we don't even notice. I will see some commercials that are geared towards men and I am wondering what boobs and booty has anything to do with their product. Nowadays it seems that products for women are moving towards being the male fantasy. It's almost as if every other commercial is geared towards men. Men commercials are use this product and "hot" women will want you then women's commercials are use this product and you will be seen as sexy like this woman who men want.

I googled "feminist stereotypes" and found this offensive image. Says a lot about our culture.


I can say that, before coming to college, when I heard the word feminist I would view a big butch chick with a buzz cut and no makeup as the face of feminism. Part of that stereotype comes from how men talk about feminism. Which now that I think about it is probably the worst source ever. I had never met or known a feminist or researched into it. When I see pictures of prominent feminists, they are beautiful educated women who just want to be respected for their minds rather than what their appearance offers. Its disheartening that they get such a bad rep just for wanting to be respected, but part of that is because so much of society, like those men creating visuals of feminists with harsh words, want women to be seen and not heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment