Sunday, November 22, 2009

Blog 10: "Healthy Body Image"



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones



The first song I chose was "Upgrade U" by Beyonce. I chose this song because it's about how she is so amazing that she can make him better. Without her he couldn't be who he is. He needs her to be all that he can be. She upgrades him.


I chose "Video" by India Arie for obvious reasons of course. She is not the typical image of beauty that is perpetuated in society, but she still loves herself because she knows she worthy for more than shaking it in a video. She doesn't need to look like them and she accepts her beauty for what it is. She is beautiful even though she is not the typical beauty queen.


I chose "Dollhouse" by Priscilla Renea because she begins talking about how she transformed herself to be what she thought her man wanted, but soon realized that she is not the "doll" he wanted to be. She was losing herself in being what he wanted and knew it just wasn't right. She decides to leave him because he cannot accept her for who she truly is.


I chose "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera because this songs just talks about how you're beautiful no matter what you look like and you should accept yourself for who you are because you are beautiful in every single way. It tells you to stop trying to be something you're not and accept your own beauty. Don't let others words and feelings about you bring you down and bring yourself up.


I chose "Put Your Records On" by Corinne Bailey Rae because she talks about just loving life and not letting anything bring you down. Its one of those feel good songs. Don't worry about all life's little troubles and accept the beautiful moments of life. Just live your life and be you.


I chose "Girl Like Me" by Rihanna because she talks about how she is not willing to settle for second best. She is a girl that is willing to truly wait for her true love. She wants a man that is willing to accept her flaws and all and willing to be there for her. Too many women settle for a man and will take any kind of treatment to keep a man and this song says that you should find that man that will treat you like a queen.


I chose "I Am Not My Hair" by India Arie because she talks about how her hair does not define who she is. Her appearance does not define who she is and not to make assumptions about who you think she is by what you see. You should get to know the person within before you decide who someone is.


I chose "Be OK" by Chrisette Michele because she sings about how she will move on and from her relationship because she doesn't need a man to make her feel good. She loved him at one point but she doesn't need him to make her who she is.


I really don't think that my taste in music has really changed. When I was younger I used to listen to more pop music, but that is about the only difference.


The readings about hip hop culture was an interesting look at the music I listen to. It reminded me of the 2 part BET series "Hip Hop in America." The second reading mentioned how they should do that and have the rapper and the video ho say their piece and that series did just that. Nelly, Melyssa Ford, and David Banner joined in the discussion alongside influential black leaders such as Micheal Eric Dyson (who I just love to hear speak) and Cornel West. I really wished that they would have had a record exec or top head of the music who says yes or no.


I did agree with the obsession of the "ethnically ambiguous" although I was confused by the Gabrielle Union reference in one of the articles. You do see the typical girl in every video: small waist with big boobs and booty, long hair, and fair skin. If there is a dark skin girl, her face is not typically shown and the focus is her booty. Buffie the Body is a famous dark skin video girl and when she is typically in a video they constantly only make frames around her booty. She is typically looking over her shoulder in the video becaus her booty is the main focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment